Thursday, June 9, 2011

2nd Ultrasound and Blood Test

Hello again Bleaders...okay, let's wrap up our little catch up situation. But first, a HUGE shout out to My Kate over at Busted Plumbing. She did one little post about lil ole me and now I have 7 new readers!  Kate has P-O-W-E-R!  So welcome to my new readers and enjoy my little journey with me!

And a final note before we talk about the most recent doc appointment.  I got on the scale on Monday to see how bad I did in Pinetop, only to see that I lost almost 3 lbs.  I guess when you don't eat like normal, the weight just falls off...and you take out the alcohol, diet soda and sweet tea!  I just hope this keeps up.  But if my stomach is upset for the next few weeks, it just might.  Okay, on to the rest of my day!

Got up early to go to boot camp with Meanie Christinie on Tuesday, taking clothes to get ready at the gym because it's about 3 minutes from Dr. H's office, and the giant bowl-de-bribes fruit.  Informed Meanie Christinie that there would be no running and no jumping, per doc's orders.  So every time she had that on the docket, I did something else.  Still got a good workout, just no running or jumping.  Then off to the gym to shower and de-stink-e-fy and off to the doc's.  Literally, took me 3 minutes to get there and J beat me.  He was so worried he would be late that he got there at 8 am, but the office doesn't open until 8:30 am.  I got there about 8:27 am.  Dr. H got there first and saw us waiting out front, with more goodies.  I told him we had fruit today and while he said that sounded great, he also said, "but the other stuff was really yummy!"  SCORE!

He let us in and as we went to sit, the receptionist came in and eyed my bowl.  She opened the window and said, "Nikus right?"  I said yup, and then took the fruit to her so the doc's aren't having all the fun, knowing they would share it.  Another couple walked in and sat down too.  We got called back and first of course, is bloodwork.  So they stick me again.  (Let me interject here that where J got stuck a week ago had really bruised pretty badly, it looked like he was an addict or something.  We showed the nurse and she felt bad.  Also didn't help that SIL's dog scratched J along the biggest part of the bruise.  Poor guy!  I meant to have a photo, but I kept forgetting to take it and now it's practically healed.  Sorry folks.)  So I have my blood taken, yet again, and get a sparkly bandage. Then it's time for the show.

Again, to the same ultrasound room and this time Dr. H is really on time.  I tell him how boot camp went and he says the "no running and no jumping" is a great plan.  (SEE MEANIE, I TOLD YOU!) In goes the ultrasound probe and WOW, we've got follicules baby!  I think I maybe counted 6 on the right and 5 on the left that I could pick out, not including the little guys.  J even said that 2 years ago he wouldn't have known what we were looking at, but now, he was in the loop!  So Dr. H did all his measuring of the follicules and the uteran lining, and then patted me on the knee and said, "great job!"  I don't really know what I did, but yay me.  Oh, I also had to ask him if I could take my lovely cold sore medication because I woke up with the beginnings of one today...lucky me...I kind of expected it with all the hormones, and was cleared to take that prescription.  Hopefully it goes away quick!

Time to get dressed and then we need to go over my "protocol" again with nurse Pamela. I figure it hasn't changed, boy was I wrong.  Still taking Follistim, but now we get to add Ganirelix and Doxycycline.  According to Wikipedia, Ganirelix is "is an injectable gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist (GnRH antagonist). It is primarily used in assisted reproduction to control ovulation. The drug works by blocking the action of GnRH upon the pituitary, thus rapidly suppressing the production and action of LH and FSH. It is administered as a daily subcutaneous injection."  Won't start taking it until Thursday, with the Follistim.  Then will continue both until June 12th.  The Doxycycline is just an antibiotic to make sure we don't have any viruses, and both J and I get to take a pill in the morning and a pill in the evening.  He stops next Tuesday, I get to keep going until after my transfer is done.  Boy, am I glad we went over all this.

Head to the front to pay and then the pharmacy.  J headed for work because there wasn't much reason for him to be even later, when I was working at home.  The pharmacy was a bit difficult this morning, but we finally got everything figured out.  Also figured out that they would be closed on Sunday, and since that is my next appointment and would need more drugs, got those today...or at least thought I got those today...more on that later.  So while I am waiting, the lady I saw at Dr. H's office walks in.  I hear her conversation with the technician and realize that she's a newbie it sounds like.  After a few minutes of answering emails on my phone, I say to her, "what are you in for? IUI?"  She smiles and says, "artificial insemination?"  I say, "yup, same thing."  She asks what we are in for and I say IVF.  She does the scared face.  The "I-hope-I-don't-get -there-face" that I had years ago.  Anyway, that sparks a conversation and it's nice to actually talk to someone who's in a boat relatively similar to mine.  I tell her about the blog and she comments that that is a great idea, so you don't have to re-tell everyone the same thing all the time.  Finally, my drugs are ready and as I get up I say, "I sincerely hope that I never see you again!" and smile.  She understands and says the same thing, then her name is called.  After I am rung up and pay my $1,445(!), I write the blog address on a card and give it to her.  Always nice to have someone going through what you are.  Then, I'm out with my bag-o-tricks...more injectibles and now pills.

As the pharmacist went over some of the drugs, he gave me different information than nurse Pamela had, so I call her on my way home.  She says that he was wrong and she was right and to do what she said.  Then she asks me if I happened to get my HCG shot that is due on the 12th - again when the pharmacy is closed.  I reply, "no, I didn't think about that one."  So she says that I'll need to go back before the weekend and didn't have time to turn around and do it then.  Home to work, finally have breakfast, take my first pill, put the new drugs in the fridge and finally get some work done.  About 5 pm, my eyes demanded to be shut.  So I laid down for a little nap...felt so good.  Again, gotta love the side effects.

And with that, I'm off to find some dinner, do yet another shot and head for bed so I can hit the gym (lightly tomorrow).  Happy Thursday folks!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you connected with another infertile. I tried that once and she didn't take too kindly to it! :0
    Oh and I found you through Busted Kate as well. Isn't she awesome. :)


I love hearing what you have to say ... blog related or not! Dish away!