Friday, April 8, 2011

Really PETA, really?!

It seems a while ago that I never had anything to say about Infertility, and even then my posts were few and far between.  With the onset of the realization that IVF is a train heading straight for us, I now have a million things to blog about!  Today's wasn't on my list, but I can't NOT say something.

For those of you unaware, PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of Animals) is currently running a contest where men can win vasectomies if they get their dog fixed in honor of National Infertility Awareness Week.  So here's how I feel.

I understand PETA's motives and their desire to spay/neuter animals to cut down on the population.  I even understand giving away a free "snip" to a man so he can DECIDE not to procreate. 

My main issue is that they are doing this IN HONOR OF National Infertility Awareness Week.  That's so not what infertility is about! 

Infertility is the inability to procreate NOT OF YOUR OWN DEVICES.  People who are infertile, don't WANT to be.  Someone who gets a vasectomy has made the decision  to not procreate.  Someone with infertility is doing their damnest to PROCREATE, no matter cost, pain, suffering, more cost, whatever.

It's like a slap in the face to the Infertility community and it doesn't even make sense.

How did this meeting go?
"Hmmm....let's run a campaign about spaying and neutering your animals!"

"Now how could we get media coverage?"

"Hey, let's offer to snip some guy if he gets his puppy snipped!"

"Okay, but what else could coincide with that?" 

"Who else can't make babies?"

"The Infertiles!"  Quick web check... "Hey, National Infertility Awareness week is coming up.  What if we link the two?" 

"Great!  Pizza anyone?!"

How was no one sitting in that board room thinking, "spay/neuter" and "infertility", huh?  How do the two really relate?  Was no one in that whole organization man or woman enough to speak up and say, "you guys are insane?!  Infertility is nothing like CHOOSING to have a vasectomy."  And since about 7.3 million people deal with Infertility, how did not one of them work at PETA or know someone battling it and say something?! 

Nope, guess not.  What the heck?!

Click here for more information about the whole debacle.  And here to sign the petition to have PETA take all infertility linkage out of their press release.  And here to read RESOLVE's (The National Infertility Association) press release condemning PETA.

In other news, this statement popped up on FB today:
"Infertility is a heart-wrenching, faith-questioning, relationship-testing, life-altering experience.  April is Infertility Awareness Month.  Whether a friend, a family member, a colleague or yourself has fought through this difficult fate that MILLIONS of people are fighting day in and day out, post this as your status if you or someone you know has walked to hell and back for the chance to be a MOM or DAD."


So, of course I posted it.  OF COURSE!  And what happened?  I started seeing the people that I love post it too.  Over and over and over again!  That is all that this is all about.  Making people aware of this problem so they are less insensitive (ahem...PETA!), and more understanding.  Nobody disbelieves in Cancer or AIDS, but Infertility, yes.  We've battled those ideas before, we'll stop here.

Then, I got this picture sent to me.  


I'm not quite sure how I feel about this.  On one hand, I'm glad that someone is recognizing that people suffer from this and need support, but on the other hand, I'm a little dismayed there is only ONE card to choose from and that apparently the message was "I know how much you've been wanting to get that little bundle of joy and it's just not happening. I feel for you." 

This might be one place where not being specific is okay and appreciated.  I'd much rather get a card that said, "I'm here for you"  because our infertility situation is on my brain 100%.  I know what you are referring to when you say this.  This message sounds very pitying and we don't want to be pitied!  I guess if Hallmark says "infertility exists out there" then IT REALLY DOES!  Oy vey!


I don't want to go into the weekend on a sour note.  I know that PETA's stupidness doesn't affect me or my life.  I've had incredible support this week since I've been telling friends about IVF.  Truly.  


Screw PETA! (HA!  That's really funny to me!)


Happy Weekend folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say ... blog related or not! Dish away!