Sunday, March 18, 2012

36 week update

Hello Bleeps!  One month, we officially have 1 month left!  It's so hard to believe.  But that is where we stand. 

We had our last Childbirth class on Tuesday of last week.  We did an extensive tour of the delivery ward and the maternity ward of the hospital, then had a "rehearsal labor."  Definitely made me feel better about it all.  Of course, we may not have the opportunity to deal with labor if we do a scheduled C-section if this little girl doesn't turn on her own!  Silly thing is, I'm not scared of the labor or the C-section.  I'm actually more scared of what happens when we come home.  I'm sure we'll figure it all out, but it's unknown how things will work with Reese's schedule, money, daycare, etc. 

We also had a Baby Basics class on Friday night.  It was information about SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), Shaken Baby Syndrome, diapering, problems that she could have when she is born that aren't really problems (cradle cap, etc.), washing. and swaddling.  Very interesting class. J has NEVER changed a diaper, whereas I have changed many.  But neither of us has ever given a newborn a bath.  We both learned a lot.

After talking with our pediatrician, we have decided not to do private Cord Blood Banking.  She is a proponent of public Cord Blood Banking (where the parents donate the cord blood), but not private.  Private is at least $1,200 to start and then a maintenance fee every year until you decide to stop of about $300-$500 I think.  It's kind of like insurance.  But if our cord blood is publicly banked, we could access it (if it hasn't been used) if we need to or other cord blood that matches.  So that solves that problem.

I have officially stopped going to the gym, as of the beginning of March.  First off, I am so tired Monday mornings (my usual schedule is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) that I was missing a lot.  And I figured that since that is what my body is saying, I better listen.  Talked to Trainer and he agreed that it was a good plan and "ok."  That's really what I was looking for from him...approval.  And I got it.  Am still trying to walk a bit, but no more weights or things like that. 

Back to child care.  I think I mention that we are looking for childcare options to everyone I know.  Everyone says, "ask your friends."  Well, unfortunately, my friends don't live near us so many of their options are way out of the way.  I keep saying that it has to be a place where both J and I can get to easily, because we both have to be able to pick her up.  If it is by J's work (which is about 40 minutes in the wrong direction from my work), that doesn't work and same deal if it is by my work.  So we keep asking.  I asked my Dad to email his neighborhood and ask them for suggestions and I got a lot of response, however the best options I got were to get a Care.com subscription (which I did) and a Mom's group that I intend to join after Reese joins us.  So it was good.

Now on to the 36 week update...

Week 36 of Pregnancy 
Your baby's bones may be ready to rock and roll, but yours may be aching something awful right now.

Your Baby in Week 36 of Pregnancy
Forget your aching back (and everything else!) by trying to focus on your baby, who is now about six pounds and 20 inches long, with soft bones and cartilage to allow a safer journey through the exit door. Most of her systems (from circulatory to musculoskeletal) are ready for prime time, though her digestion system — which has done only practice runs so far — will kick into gear as she takes her first suckle at the breast or bottle.

Your Body in Week 36 of Pregnancy
It's a good thing your baby's almost done cooking, since your body may feel pretty "done" by now as well. For one thing, you're doing the full-term pregnancy waddle, the result of the hormone-triggered loosening and softening of your connective tissue. This is your body's way of getting ready to squeeze a big baby out of a small space. Unfortunately, those loose joints can lead to some pretty serious hip and pelvic pain — but hang in there!

Week 36 Pregnancy Tip: Infant and Child CPR Classes
Chances are you'll never have to use this skill, but knowing how to perform CPR on a newborn or a toddler is just plain smart. There are plenty of classes out there, including low- or no-cost options at your YMCA, hospital, community center, or local chapters of the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. (Your childbirth-education class might even include baby CPR in its curriculum.) Another option — and a potentially fun one at that: Throw a CPR party at home, which allows you to share child-care resources (and appetizers) with other new parents. Whichever setting you choose, make sure you find a certified instructor (ask your practitioner for a referral) who will come equipped with "bogus babies" to practice on. (Good luck getting down on all fours to practice those first-aid breaths with your belly in the way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say ... blog related or not! Dish away!