Monday, September 19, 2011

10 weeks

Hello Blogites.  Today I am 10 weeks pregnant.  It still amazes me to say that.  10.WEEKS.PREGNANT. Amazing.

Here's this week's update:

How your baby's growing:
Though he's barely the size of a kumquat — a little over an inch or so long, crown to bottom — and weighs less than a quarter of an ounce, your baby has now completed the most critical portion of his development. This is the beginning of the so-called fetal period, a time when the tissues and organs in his body rapidly grow and mature.

He's swallowing fluid and kicking up a storm. Vital organs — including his kidneys, intestines, brain, and liver (now making red blood cells in place of the disappearing yolk sac) — are in place and starting to function, though they'll continue to develop throughout your pregnancy.

If you could take a peek inside your womb, you'd spot minute details, like tiny nails forming on fingers and toes (no more webbing) and peach-fuzz hair beginning to grow on tender skin.

In other developments: Your baby's limbs can bend now. His hands are flexed at the wrist and meet over his heart, and his feet may be long enough to meet in front of his body. The outline of his spine is clearly visible through translucent skin, and spinal nerves are beginning to stretch out from his spinal cord. Your baby's forehead temporarily bulges with his developing brain and sits very high on his head, which measures half the length of his body. From crown to rump, he's about 1 1/4 inches long. In the coming weeks, your baby will again double in size — to nearly 3 inches.

Why they compare the baby to a kumquat I will never know, seeing as I have no idea what a kumquat looks like!  But both versions of the 10 week mark that I have read refer to the kumquat.  Odd.

Now for my update:
I teeter between feeling fine and feeling downright awful.  Today is downright awful.  Yesterday was downright awful, with a few amazing hours of feeling fine.  Saturday, I felt fine most of the day, except for the part where I didn't eat protein until 2 pm.  My fault, not body's.  I'm learning.  However, today no home remedies seem to be working to keep my stomach un-upset.  I keep hearing that I'll feel better in my 2nd trimester and that's right around the corner, so I'm holding my breath.  However, last night I read that the morning sickness (that lasts through the whole day) may not actually disappear until the 16th week!  SAY WHAT?!  Here I was counting down just about 2 weeks, and now you're telling me 6 more?!  To be sure, I would take being sick for 9 months if it would give me a healthy baby, but I would still complain for 9 months...much to everyone's dismay I am sure. 

It also doesn't help that our office building can't seem to get the temperature in our office under control.  Last Monday, when it was raining and a balmy 75 degrees outside, it was 82 degrees in my office. I thought I was going to die!  For once J was more comfortable that me.  Today, it has ranged from 76 degrees this morning to about 73 degrees this afternoon.  Overall, not terrible but with my body going crazy on it's own, I don't need the building playing any of its own games.  Also doesn't help that the minute I eat or drink something hot or cold, my body reacts by following that temperature to the extreme.  Some days this is great, like last Thursday when my office was 69 degrees and MBM brought me a Starbucks Decaf Pumpkin Spice Latte.  But today, not the case.  Either too hot or too cold.

I haven't come out on FB yet, still waiting for magic week number 12, or is it 13?  Here's my dilemma, when does the 2nd trimester start?  If you divide 40 weeks by 3, you get 13.3333, which would say 2nd trimester starts in week 13.  However, 12 weeks is 3 months.  So which is it folks?  We'll announce on FB at the beginning of the 2nd trimester, if I can ever figure out when that is.  (smile) However I do make comments on my condition, and those that know comment without spilling the "preggo" word.  Thanks folks!

I did buy some lotion to help with stretch marks by mandate of my cousin who has a now 14 year old and an 11 year (forgive me if I got their ages wrong) and says it is muy importante!  I bought a body wash and lotion and have been rubbing on my belly every night.  Hopefully it helps.  At this point I don't look pregnant, just fat!

How is J doing?
He's still handling all this very well.  I think it has started to wear on him a bit when I go to bed at 8:30 pm, or can't eat specific things because they just don't sound great at all.  And I'm sure he won't be overjoyed when I tell him this evening that I can't feed the animals anymore because it almost made me lose my breakfast with the smell, but I'm sure he'll get over it.  He says he has gained some weight "for me" and may want to borrow my maternity pants come Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.  We'll see how he looks in my black workout capris with the expandable belly.  Now there's an image!  He told me tonight that he had a dream last night about our daughter...yup, he's dreaming about baby girls, and this isn't the first time.  Blonde hair with pink bows...my dream child I think!  Anyway, what could that mean?  Think he is on board, just a little bit?

We got a "congrats" card from (BFF in San Fran) Melslaw over the weekend and it made me laugh out loud.  Besides being congratulatory and she's excited to be Auntie Melslaw...she mentioned that Melslaw is a great girl's name, and Melslaw-o is a great boy's name.  Made me crack up!  I do love her so! And I get to see her next weekend when she comes into town for another friend's baby shower!  Me so happy!

Next stop - Ultrasound.  We have our sonogram on Friday about 12:30 pm.  J can't go so Mom is and I believe she is overjoyed.  I'm always a bit nervous with the doc appointments, waiting for someone to tell me this is all going to end sooner tha it should.  But based on today's stomach-upsetted-ness, maybe I'll be okay afterall.  Will report and hopefully post pictures this weekend.

Thanks for sticking with me folks!  Talk soon!  Mama is going to bed...yes, at 9:04 pm.

3 comments:

  1. kept meaning to check your blog to find out the good news. SO happy for you! Hope it is twins! You are going to be a great mommy! I like bagels and cream cheese when I am pregnant... epecially around 3pm when lunch is wearing off and dinner is not soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 14 weeks is the first week of your 2nd trimester. As for the sick feeling; I too had that, it didn't go away for me until the 14-15 week. I've been feeling great since, so I pray that for you too. So happy for you!!!
    XO
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! I am at 15 weeks and STILL haven't come out. I don't know that the "first trimester" is necessarily the be-all-end-all of perfect dates to tell the world. You just go ahead and tell them whenever you want. Me? I'm waiting until it looks like I ate a watermellon. (I'm at grapefruit right now.)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say ... blog related or not! Dish away!