Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Last blog before B-day (or C-day) as the case may be

Well Bleeps, you have stuck with me through all of our trials and now here we are at the final moment, almost.  I'll do a quick wrap-up of the past couple days and then my last comments before tomorrow.

Monday.  J and I went to my last appointment with Dr. OB.  I'm still not dilated at all, in fact my cervix is locked up tight.  Reese is still breech in my belly, although as I felt around my belly on the way to the doc, I kinda thought she had turned and I was kinda scared to be right.  I've gotten so used to the idea of C-section, that the thought of having to wait a bit longer to meet her and possibly endure hours upon hours of labor scared me.  Dr. OB still thinks she is breech, but did warn us that if we get to the hospital on Thursday and she has turned, they may send us home.  However, we would then only be waiting a few more days and they would try to induce me, but with my cervix being locked up tight, a c-section might be in the future anyway.  So...end point, she is 90% sure we'll do a c-section tomorrow and meet baby Reese.  I was up a little bit in weight, but blood pressure is still down, so we're all good there.  I had made cookies for Dr. OB and her staff and of course, forgot to take them.  Proceeded to a very easy day at the office, the grocery store, and then home. 

Tuesday.  Worked from home, but very little to do since the day before was so easy.  Took the cookies to Dr. OB's office and they were very excited.  Then to lunch with Ms. T and to get a final mani-pedi before Thursday.  What do you think?  

Yes, my hand is resting on my belly and that is J's old wedding band that he grew out of just in time for me to wear.  Mom measured my belly sure that it was much bigger than when I was measured at my shower in February, only to be dismayed that it was only 1 inch larger - 47".  I took a little nap at Mom and Dad's house, then back to the hospital for our last baby-related class...breastfeeding class.  I learned a lot and was so glad J was with me, but also that he was asking questions and participating.  Home to bed, but I was up again at 4 am and couldn't fall back asleep as I kept thinking what tomorrow will hold at 4 am!

Today - Wednesday.  First official day of maternity leave.  After finally falling back to sleep around 6 am, J left about 8 for work, which woke me up and then again, couldn't go back to sleep.  Lounged around for a while, ate breakfast in bed and finally decided I better start what I was needing to do for the day.  Washed clothes, some of which will go to the hospital with us, then washed our towels and sheets, so we'll have nice clean things to come home to.  Pretty much finished packing.  Put the baby car seat and stroller in the car, did some paper work, wrote up notes about the house for the in-laws who will be here and taking care of all the animals while we're at the hospital.  Still need to get the sheets out of the dryer and put them on the bed with MIL's help, finish the "Pregnancy Scrapbook" and vacuum.  Then tonight we're having dinner with both sets of parents (soon-to-be grandparents) as a sort of pre-celebration and last supper without a baby.  Hopefully home earlier than later so J can pack for the hospital and we can get to bed early because tomorrow will be an early day!

So here's how tomorrow should work...We need to leave the house by 5 am to get to the hospital by 5:30 am.  That means that I will be getting up about 4 am (or earlier if I just can't sleep) to shower, dress and get ready to go.  When we get to the hospital, there's a bunch of paperwork to fill out, of course.  We have a final sonogram to determine Reese's position for sure, and then meet with the resident who will be assisting Dr. OB and the anesthesiologist.  About 7:15 am, we'll walk back to the operating room and get me settled.  J will go put on scrubs while I get my spinal (kinda like an epidural, but quicker onset and offset).  Once we're sure it's working, J comes back in and we begin.  Dr. OB said the baby should be out in about 5-10 minutes, and the rest of the hour will be spent sewing me back together.  We'll head out of there to recovery, me, J and baby Reese after she's been cleaned up and hopefully breastfeed.  Haven't determined if the family will come in at that point yet, because there's only one person allowed in there with me and the baby and we'll be wanting to breastfeed asap.  About an hour and a half in recovery, then we'll go to our room on the floor below, and get settled in.  THEN, maybe we'll have visitors or take a nap.  From that point on, I have no idea what happens!

Sounds like a pretty intense day right?  I'm sure it will be.  I can't promise that the blog will be updated with photos, but you can bet if we have your cell number or you are our friend on facebook, you'll get pics ASAP. 

I still am in awe that we made it to this day.  I truly am.  We're here and we're having a baby.

I know I have said it before, but it bears saying again.  I am so grateful for all the support I have received from people who read this blog, whether I know your face or not.  I couldn't have made it through this huge process without any of you!  I mean that from the bottom of my heart.  I know our "road" isn't over by a long shot, but we're at the off-ramp to a completely different highway system and I can't wait. 

We'll catch you on the flip side friends, family and loved ones!


  1. Prayers for you and baby! I hope your birth-day is as smooth and easy as possible. And that your c-section recovery is as easy as mine was.

  2. Good luck tomorrow! Hoping everything goes smoothly :)

  3. I am writing this at 9:54 am central time on Thursday. I have been thinking of you all morning. I am praying that you are now officially, on paper, a MAMA! I hope that baby Reese has made her debut, that all is well with both of you. I am so glad you allowed us all to walk this walk with you. Thank you for sharing. I cannot wait to follow you into your next chapter. (Its Super fun!!!)

  4. Hope you are doing ok, and looking forward to the next chapter. Just remember we are still reading and caring about you! And I still use my binder, it is really helpful to a disorganised person like me!

  5. Haven't heard from you yet, but I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you!


I love hearing what you have to say ... blog related or not! Dish away!