Tuesday, October 11, 2011

13 weeks....one away from the 2nd trimester

Hello Bleeps.  Can you believe we have progressed this far?  I am officially 13 weeks pregnant, which puts me just at the door of the 2nd trimester.  If all is true, next week I should feel much better and dare I say, human, again.

Here's what BabyCenter says about the 13th week of pregnancy:

How your baby's growing:
Fingerprints have formed on your baby's tiny fingertips, her veins and organs are clearly visible through her still-thin skin, and her body is starting to catch up with her head — which makes up just a third of her body size now. If you're having a girl, she now has more than 2 million eggs in her ovaries. Your baby is almost 3 inches long (the size of a medium shrimp) and weighs nearly an ounce.

How your life's changing:
This is the last week of your first trimester, and your risk of miscarriage is now much lower than earlier in pregnancy. Next week marks the beginning of your second trimester, a time of relative comfort for many women who see early pregnancy symptoms such as morning sickness and fatigue subside. More good news: Many couples also notice a distinct libido lift around this time. Birth is still months away, but your breasts may have already started making colostrum, the nutrient-rich fluid that feeds your baby for the first few days after birth, before your milk starts to flow.

So how am I actually feeling?  I go back and forth from feeling fine, to having a headache, dry heaving, and ready to collapse into a nap at any moment.  I'm hoping most of that goes away next week or so.  I'm also not really hungry, which while it seems good isn't the best because I get to the point of having a headache and feeling dizzy, and realize I haven't eaten for a few hours.  So then I eat whatever is near, and that isn't always healthy, although I am trying!!!!!

J and I went to see Dr. OB this morning for my monthly check-up.  I was weighed (and I had weighed at home this morning) and was up a couple pounds, but not as dramatic as I thought it might be.  Blood pressure taken and according to Nurse Shari, it was exactly (EXACTLY) what it was last time, which was great.  Time to see Dr. OB.  We chatted for a bit and she told us she had gotten the results of the Ultrascreen (the test that was Friday) and everything was perfect.  No abnormalities for us!!  YAY!  And didn't have to wait until the 17th either!  Thank goodness.  Then, she pulled out her handy-dandy fetal doppler and it was time to hear the baby's heartbeat.  While she was looking, she asked me if I had any feelings about the sex.  We told her we both keep calling Monkey a "he" inadvertently, but I really have no feeling either way yet.  Then, she found that little drum inside my belly.  Boy was it beating like crazy!  She said it was about 150 beats per minute (bpm).  I asked if higher meant girl or boy, and she said that was a wives tale.  So, no indication yet.  However, we do have our appointment to find out the sex of the baby - November 22nd.  The day before my birthday and my parents' anniversary.  Will have to come up with something fun to do for that.  And it's right before Thanksgiving so will see the in-laws most likely...maybe we'll get a cake with pink or blue inside for them to find out the sex.  Hmmm....that'd be fun.  We'll see.

Asked a couple questions of Dr. OB (what position should I be sleeping in? Can I eat feta cheese? Can I switch back to skim milk now - Dr. H had me drinking whole milk? Can I go in our hot tub? Are there any dietary needs I need to be meeting right now?) and she gladly answered (sleep however is comfy; can eat feta if it is pasteurized; can switch back to skim; can go in hot tub as long as it isn't hotter than my body temp, or just feet; and just eat what is good, but watch the weight gain).  Headaches are hormonal and should go away soon.  Drink lots of water and gatorade is good too.

As far as cravings go, I would say I had my first real one yesterday. I had a dream about pumpkin bread and woke up craving it to no end.  I woke up at 5 am, when to the bathroom and then back to bed but couldn't really go back to sleep. I actually considered getting up and making pumpkin bread! J surely would have liked that.  But I didn't have the energy to do that.  Thankfully, Starbucks delivered and they had my pumpkin bread, although not as good as mine or Mom's. 

I guess that's all for today folks.  I'm hoping to feel good enough to hit the gym in the next few weeks, and head back to boot camp with Meanie Christinie, Lobster and Robot.  We'll see.  Alright, talk to you soon!  Have a great Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for no abnormalities!! Your baby is going to be a genuis like Aunt Suzanne. I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have made it this far,girl! So relieved for you about no abnormalities. That is my biggest fear (I teach special needs kids as well). Hope you get a chance to eat some nice pumpkin bread :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say ... blog related or not! Dish away!